- Take Action to oppose 5G and federal wireless expansionWe need your help! Yesterday we mailed 541 joint letters to Congress members. The letter is signed by dozens of health, environment and justice advocates and organizations asking them to oppose the many federal bills related to 5G and wireless radiation expansion. It is packed with peer-reviewed science references and solid reasons to oppose. Please contact your own US Senators and Representative […]
- Letter to Congress 2017Letter to Congress 2017
- Will Ferrell #DeviceFreeDinner
- Defeat of Cell Tower Bill SB 649 Celebrated and Next StepsOn Sunday, Oct. 29 Sebastopol Mayor Una Glass joined EMF Safety Network for a photo at the Sebastopol Farmers Market to celebrate the defeat of Senate Bill 649, which would have created a state mandated system of cell towers in California. Governor Brown vetoed SB 649 two weeks ago. Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, and Sonoma County […]
- Unlocking the door: How to successfully get through to people about wireless radiation.By: Rachel Gaunt: For years I have been talking to people about the risks of wireless radiation. People who already “get it” are an easy audience. They nod and agree vehemently. But conversing with people who are new to this subject has not been so easy. Too often I see their eyes glaze over, watch […]
- Governor Brown Vetoes SB 649!On Sunday Oct. 15, 2017 Senate Bill 649 has been vetoed by Governor Jerry Brown. SB 649 would have created a state mandated system of cell towers every couple hundred feet apart in California. 300 cities, 47 counties and over 100 community, planning, health, environment and justice organizations opposed SB 649. EMF Safety Network and […]
- We mailed your postcards to Governor Brown to Veto SB 649!Thank you to all who signed up online to have us send a postcard to Governor Brown. This campaign is now closed. We sent a couple thousand of these postcards to him and on Oct 15 the Governor VETOED the bill! SB 649 would have created a state-wide system of cell towers every couple […]
- SB 649 barely passes Assembly and Senate moves to the GovernorOn Sept.13, the California Assembly voted on SB 649, the bill that would allow cell towers on every block. On the first vote, the bill did not get enough votes to pass. On the second it passed, but just barely. On Sept. 14 the Senate also barely passed the bill. Now SB 649 goes to […]
- STOP cell towers on every block in California #STOPSB649Cell towers emit harmful radiation. If Senate Bill 649 passes you could awake in 2018 to find a cell tower outside your bedroom window, or on your children’s school. Senate Bill 649 would create a state mandated system of cell towers every couple hundred feet apart. SB 649 would harm California. SB 649 would eliminate […]
- SB 649 is a shameless gift to the telecom industryIf Senate Bill 649 passes… in 2018 you could awake to a cell tower right outside your bedroom window. Unless you live in a fire station, a coastal commission or a historical city, SB 649 would put cell towers in every neighborhood and countryside in California. SB 649 would only allow design of how refrigerator […]
- Save copper telephone lines!EMF Safety Network and Ecological Options Network filed these comments to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) in WT Docket 17-84 on why copper lines must be retained and maintained. The FCC is discussing “retirement” of the copper line telephone system. 1. Copper landline phones save lives. Copper landlines work when the power is out, fiber […]
- Smart Meters Affect the Human Heartby Warren Woodward, Sedona, Arizona ~ May 31, 2017 Some people weren’t satisfied that my last video was proof enough that “smart” meters affect the human heart. They want to see me get tortured repeatedly, and they want to see others get tortured. According to one skeptic, I may have had a condition that just […]
- EMFSN membership and $5000 matching grant opportunity!In an effort to sustain and strengthen the mission based work of EMF Safety Network we have changed to become a membership dues organization. We also have been given a $5,000 matching grant opportunity! Membership dues are $50 annually. Members will have unique opportunities for helping to guide the organization. Paypal: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=SAP5L9QJYJDYJ or you can […]
- Berkeley cell phone ordinance wins again!The city of Berkeley won against the powerful CTIA, the wireless industry association who appealed Berkeley’s ordinance which requires cellphone retailers to provide customers with this notice: “To assure safety, the Federal Government requires that cell phones meet radiofrequency (RF) exposure guidelines. If you carry or use your phone in a pants or shirt pocket […]
- Stop radar in cars!If you don’t want a smart meter on your home, you won’t want V2V in cars. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is proposing to mandate radar (called V2V technology) in all new cars and light trucks. The stated purpose of the V2V is to improve driving safety by warning drivers of imminent crash risks in […]
- Take Action to oppose 5G and federal wireless expansion
- Smart Meter Protesters Pack CPUC MeetingYesterday morning nearly 40 people addressed the California Public Utilities Commission, demanding an immediate halt to the ‘smart’ meter rollout and telling of widespread health impacts from the new wireless meters. Here is what our Director, Joshua Hart, told the … Continue reading →
- Denying Non-Thermal Wireless Health Impacts Growing More Untenable Every DayWhile government regulatory agencies continue to insist that non-thermal health impacts from wireless radiation cannot be proven, we now have what amounts to a smoking gun- that the function of the human brain is significantly altered by exposure to relatively … Continue reading →
- Anti- Smart Meter Protesters Greet Obama in WoodsidePresident Obama visited the Bay Area last night for a meeting with leaders of the nation’s top tech firms at the Woodside home of John Doerr, a venture capitalist with links to Silver Spring Networks, one of the companies behind … Continue reading →
- Feb. 16th Protest at the CA Public Utilities CommissionThanks to EON for their video coverage of yesterday’s protest in San Francisco.
- PG&E Threatens Elderly Lady with Power Shut-off in Red BluffReports are coming in from Red Bluff in Northern California that PG&E’s ‘smart’ meter installers have been threatening 78 year old ladies with having their power cut off unless they accept a new wireless meter on their home. In the … Continue reading →
- City Council Discovers ‘Smart’ Meters are not UL CertifiedUnderwriters Laboratory Confirms Meters Not Safety Tested, Raising Fire Safety Fears Capitola- During a meeting last week in which they joined six other local governments* who have passed laws criminalizing the installation of wireless ‘smart’ meters, the Capitola City Council … Continue reading →
- Smart Meter Industry: “Energy Consumers are Rats in a Maze”Recognition to the City of Capitola, who yesterday became the 7th local government in California to criminalize the installation of ‘smart’ meters in their jurisdiction. (along with Marin, Santa Cruz, and Mendocino Counties, and the cities of Fairfax, Watsonville, and … Continue reading →
- DRA Questions Accuracy of Industry-Led CCST Health ReportLast week, the California Public Utilities Commission’s (CPUC) Division of Ratepayer Advocates (DRA) again weighed in on the increasingly contentious debate about the health impacts of wireless ‘smart’ meters. The DRA- which advocates for low rates, safety and environmental protection- … Continue reading →
- Stop Smart Meters! Exclusive: Interview with the Wellington Energy WhistleblowerWellington Energy is the company that is installing PG&E’s new wireless ‘smart’ meters in California. A former Wellington Energy employee sent us an e-mail late last year offering to speak with us about his experience installing smart meters in the … Continue reading →
- Wyoming Smart Meters Installed Under Threat of ViolenceA disturbing report from Wyoming this morning- a man who has metal implants, and was worried about the very real risk to his health  posed by the microwave radiation from the meters, was threatened with having his electricity cut … Continue reading →
- Smart Meter Protesters Pack CPUC Meeting
Smart meters will not be compulsory in the Netherlands, minister of economic affairs Maria van der Hoeven has decided.
Van der Hoeven had intended to make smart meters compulsory, with a refusal to install them punishable with a fine of up to €17,000 or six months in prison. However, after vigorous campaigning by consumer organizations and privacy watchdog groups on privacy concerns with smart meter data it became clear that a majority of parliamentarians would vote against compulsory smart metering. As a result van der Hoeven has backed down and moved to make the installation of smart meters voluntary.
The Dutch consumer association, Consumentenbond, has long opposed a mandatory rollout of smart meters. A report commissioned by the association from the University of Tilburg last November stated that the introduction of smart meters would constitute a violation of the consumers’ right to privacy and the freedom to do as they please within their homes, and consequently would be in breach of the European Convention of Human Rights. The frequent meter reads would give information about the habits and living patterns of consumers, such as when they enter or leave the house. There was also a risk of such information falling into the hands of a third party.
Moreover Consumentenbond maintains, it is not obvious that smart meters would lead to energy saving by consumers
I called Central Maine Power and said, “Please remove my smart meter as soon as possible.” They did. I know this is controversial and CMP is not happy with customers calling with this request. However, I encourage citizens to do this. We do not know enough yet, and as in many other instances, things may look safe at the start, but information often changes.
I recall, as a child, running in the streets behind the big trucks that sprayed DDT. We thought it was fun to chase after it, losing ourselves in the clouds of smoke. My parents were certainly unaware of any hazard and although they were not wild about us chasing behind these trucks, it never occurred to them that it was a danger to our future health.
Now what we know is that its use is related to diabetes, developmental and reproductive toxicity and breast cancer. As a breast cancer survivor, I often ask myself the question: What have I been exposed to that negatively affects my health? What am I exposed to today that may affect my health in the future?
True, we cannot know it all, but we can be cautious, thoughtful and challenging. We can decide we will not sit back and just accept the information provided by big corporations who have a greater interest than our health.
Stand up, use your voice and say no. I encourage you to pay attention to this. It is your health and your life.
Rosemarie De Angelis, city councilor
Energy companies across America are reaching full implementation of the installation of Smart Meters to every American home and building. Smart Meters are replacing outdated energy meters in the hopes of curbing energy demands. They will work hand in hand with the coming Smart Grid that will replace the overloaded electric grid this country now maintains. This all sounds good in the hands of a small, unintrusive government. But in the hands of a government that is seeking and gaining control over vast areas of our lives, this is a scary proposition. I started researching the Smart Grid right after Obama came into office and I uncovered some startling information.
First, keep in mind that this change over has been financed by the federal government via the Porkulus Bill. Progress Energy, which provides for the energy needs in Florida and the Carolinas, writes about their change over, “The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act signed into law in February 2009 contains provisions promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy, including $11 billion for Smart Grid-related technologies, $6.3 billion for energy-efficiency and conservation grants and $2 billion in tax credits for the purchase of plug-in electric vehicles.”
Secondly, while this country needs to update our energy grid for new technology and demands, at the heart of this implementation is the promotion of global warming/climate change. The Green Industrial Complex, which is my term for the green economy, global warming theory pushers, etc., has been organized to gain control over our lives. Bloggers and Glenn Beck have revealed over the past two years various portions of this Green Industrial Complex. There are the green jobs, the construction regulations, the updates required of homeowners before they can sell an outdated home, the population controls they desire to push on us (who can forget Science Czar John Holdren pushing mass sterilization and forced abortions), the push to ban offshore drilling and more increases in taxes.
Burglars and marketing companies could exploit data from “smart meters” that monitor household energy use, the Privacy Commissioner says.
Timothy Pilgrim, the nation’s privacy regulator, said yesterday the new meters could be used to build profiles on people’s habits — including the times they are home, whether their house has an alarm system, which appliances they use and when they watch television.
He called for privacy laws to be extended to protect entire households, not just the individual customers who sign power contracts.
“Smart infrastructure will generate information about the behaviors of individuals, often in the home,” Mr Pilgrim told The Australian. “The risk with a rich, new data source is the potential for information to be used for more than originally intended.
“So it could mean collecting data about a person’s electricity usage for billing purposes and then selling data to appliance vendors or other businesses.”
Smart meters are remote digital devices which send real-time meter readings to power utilities every half-hour.
They will be installed in 2.5 million Victorian households by the end of 2013 and are being trialled in other states and territories.
Utilities plan to use the smart meters to tailor bills, charging more for electricity used at peak times of demand during the day, and less at nights and weekends.
A bright yellow, billboard-sized sign posted on a private pasture lit by the setting sun was hard to miss on a recent afternoon for drivers heading east on Guerneville Road past Willowside Road: “Protect your health and privacy rights. Say no to PG&E!” the sign read.
As the utility company continues to roll out its new SmartMeters, North Coast customers who question the technology’s effect on health, privacy and accuracy have kept up their vocal opposition.
“I don’t want one on my property, period,” said Jim Swasey, 64, a retired boat repairman who agreed to let SmartMeter opponents post the large sign on his pasture on Guerneville Road about two weeks ago.
The sign is just one part of a trail of protests, YouTube videos, stickers, letters and online groups compiling a trove of opinions taking issue with PG&E’s claims that radio frequencies emitted by the meters have a negligible effect on the body.
Despite these efforts, PG&E’s SmartMeter installation program is on course to upgrade all applicable gas and electric meters serviced by the company sometime in 2012.
Nearly 60 percent of meters already have been upgraded overall in Sonoma County’s nine cities, according to Paul Moreno, a PG&E spokesman.
However, only about 5 percent of the meters in Sebastopol and surrounding areas, ground zero for a leading resistance group, the EMF Safety Network, have been swapped out for SmartMeters, according to Moreno’s figures.
SmartMeters send wireless data to PG&E once daily via a single-watt radio, according to PG&E’s website. The communication lasts 45 seconds. At a distance of 10 feet, those radio frequencies are about one-thousandth as much as a typical cell phone, the site said.